As the leading power supplier with 20 years of experience in Silicon Carbide (SiC) technology development, Infineon provides a portfolio that addresses the need for smarter, more efficient energy generation, transmission and consumption.
The portfolio addresses customers’ needs for reduced system size and cost in mid- to high-power systems, while meeting the highest quality standards, long system lifetime and providing guaranteed reliability. With CoolSiC™, customers will reach the most stringent efficiency targets while seeing a drop in operational system cost.
Infineon's CoolSiC™ Schottky Diodes provide a relatively high on-state resistance and leakage current. In SiC material, Schottky diodes can reach a much higher breakdown voltage. The Infineon portfolio of SiC Schottky products covers 600V and 650V to 1200V Schottky diodes.
The combination of a fast silicon based switch with a CoolSiC™ schottky diode is often termed a “hybrid” solution. In recent years Infineon has manufactured several millions of hybrid modules and has seen them installed in various customer products in applications like e. g. solar and UPS.
CoolSiC™ MOSFETs are built on a state-of-the art trench concept that sets a benchmark - allowing for both lowest losses in the application and highest reliability in operation.
The CoolSiC™ MOSFET modules are available in 1200V, while the SiC MOSFETs in discrete housing come in 650, 1200 and 1700V. The latest addition to the portfolio is the CIPOS™ Maxi 1200V CoolSiC™ MOSFET based intelligent power module (IPM)
CoolSiC™ MOSFET in solar applications…
CoolSiC™ MOSFET in server and telecom power…
CoolSiC™ MOSFET in energy storage systems…
CoolSiC™ MOSFET in EV Charging…
For the main inverter it…
In on-board chargers Silicon Carbide…
In HV DC-DC converters CoolSiC™ MOSFETs…
To achieve maximum system benefits when using SiC MOSFETs, it is advisable to complement them with Infineon’s EiceDRIVER™ gate-driver ICs to fully leverage the advantage of SiC technology. By doing so, customers will achieve improved efficiency, space and weight savings, part count reduction and enhanced system reliability.
Customers may choose between different EiceDRIVER™ gate-driver types including:
Infineon’s SiC MOSFET drivers impress with the following parameters:
1. The EVAL-M5-IMZ120R-SIC includes a 3-phase Silicon Carbide MOSFET for motor drive applications. In combination with control boards equipped with the M5 32-pin interface connector such as the XMC DriveCard 4400, it features and demonstrates the CoolSiC™ MOSFETs in this application. The evaluation board was developed to support customers during their first steps designing applications with the CoolSiC™ MOSFET 1200V in discrete packages, such as the IMW120R045M1, and EiceDRIVER™ 1200V isolated gate driver 1EDI20H12AH.
2. EVAL_PS_SIC_DP_MAIN (mother board) is a CoolSiC™ MOSFET 1200 evaluation platform including EiceDRIVER™ gate driver IC demonstrating the switching behavior and driving options of the CoolSiC™ MOSFET IMZ120R045M1 in TO247 4-pin package. It was designed for a max voltage of 800V and a max pulsed current of 130A. By adopting a modular approach it can be expanded with currently two drive cards (more to come).
The first drive card (REF_PS_SIC_DP1) contains the EiceDRIVER™ 1EDC Compact 1EDC20I12MH with an integrated active Miller clamp preventing parasitic turn-on.
The second drive card (REF_PS_SIC_DP2) includes the EiceDRIVER™ 1EDC Compact 1EDC60H12AH allowing a bipolar supply, where VCC2 is +15V and GND2 is negative.
3. In combination with control boards equipped with an M5 32-pin interface connector such as the XMC DriveCard 4400, the EVAL-M5-E1B1245N-SIC features and demonstrates Infineon’s CoolSiC™ MOSFET technology and the respective use / performance in motor drives.
The evaluation board was developed to support customers during their first steps designing applications with the sixpack power module FS45MR12W1M1_B11. The module has a rated blocking voltage of 1200V at a typical on-state resistance of 45mΩ. It is optimized for motor drive applications with a very high-frequency switching operation.
4. The reference board REF_62W_FLY_1700V_SIC supports customers designing auxiliary power supplies for three phase converters using the 1700V CoolSiC™ MOSFET in a single-ended flyback topology.
The REF-62W_FLY_1700V_SIC works in quasi-resonant mode and has a peak efficiency of 90.56% at a full load specification.
5. The EVAL_3K3W_TP_PFC_SIC is a system solution for bridgeless totem-pole power factor correction (PFC) with bidirectional power capability. It is enabled by Infineon’s CoolSiC™ trench power MOSFET and CoolMOS™ superjunction power MOSFETs as well as isolated drivers and an XMC™ microcontroller.
Target applications are those requiring high efficiency (~99%) and high power density (72W/in3), such as high-end server and telecom. In addition, the bidirectional power flow capability allows addressing battery chargers or battery formation applications, too.
The integrated totem-pole operates in continuous conduction mode (CCM) in both, rectifier (PFC) and inverter mode which also implements digital control on Infineon’s XMC™ 1000 series microcontroller.